Punakha Dzong

Punakha Dzong (“Palace of Great Happiness”) is the second oldest and the second largest dzong (fortress) of Bhutan, located at the confluence of the Pho Chhu (father) and Mo Chhu (mother) rivers in the Punakha – Wangdue valley. It can be reached by taking a 72 km drive from Thimpu, across the Dochula Pass. Punakha was the capital of Bhutan till 1955 and is now the administrative headquarters of the Punakha district. Its location next to the two rivers and its beautiful architectural magnificence make it a must visit destination for all travelers exploring Bhutan. (Photos by Kaushik Naik)

Advertisements

Leave a Reply