Diary

The Wayfarer Diaries: The Dilemma

29-01-2017, 0944 hours, Shichling, Spiti, Himachal Pradesh, India: 

 After continuously driving for 1 and a 1/2 hours, we reached Shichling, which is around 24 kms away from Kaza.  We came across a HPPWD worker who was instructed to clear the road from Shichling to Dhankar today. Upon enquiring from him about the road conditions ahead, we were told that the road till Mane bridge had been cleared of snow yesterday. A 10-12 kms stretch still remained to be cleared ahead of the bridge, which is through the treacherous Mane Ḍhank, where avalanches often occur during the winters. We had also been warned about this stretch of the road by the locals in Kaza.

 It has started to snow lightly now and after learning all this, the question arises that whether we should go ahead till Mane bridge and wait for the road to clear, or turn around now itself, looking at the scenario?

 After considering our options, we have now decided to go till Mane bridge first, and see for ourselves as to what the situation exactly is. 

Advertisements