31-01-2017, 1500 hours, Kaza, Spiti, Himachal Pradesh, India:
The good news finally came through that the road through Mane Dhank has been cleared of snow after efforts from the HPPWD from the Kaza end.
We have considered all that we have been through in our earlier attempts, and we’ve also engaged in a heated debate on whether we should leave right now itself or wait till tomorrow. Keeping in mind the fact that even if we do cross Mane Dhank, there is no place to stay for the night till we reach Spillo, it has been decided that we will leave tomorrow, early in the morning. This is just to assure that we don’t get stuck on the road (especially in the night). In addition, as the snow will also melt to some extent in the day time today (as it a bright sunny day), the probability of us reaching Rampur tomorrow by evening are very high.
I think it is a wise decision as it is not advisable to drive on this road during the night time. We have just received an update that after the snow was cleared at Mane Dhank, a few avalanches occurred and are being cleared again as of now.