Delhi, 07 September 2016, 0940 hours:
Got an sms from Indian Railway saying that the train I’m supposed to take from Delhi to Kalka tonight (Train No. 12311, Howrah Kalka Mail) departed 7 hours late from Howrah itself. This calls for a tweak in plans.
So, let’s get our priorities sorted:
1. I want to travel by the Shivalik Express of the Kalka Shimla Railway from Kalka to Shimla.
2. I want to reach Khatnol asap.
And, in order to achieve the above, I’ll travel by road to Kalka tonight.
The alternative I had:
- Board the Howrah Kalka Mail at whatever time it reached Delhi.
- Catch the connecting Kalka Shimla Railway train at whatever time I reached Kalka.
- Reach Shimla at God knows what time
- Leave for Khatnol at the earliest from Shimla
Not everything goes as per plan. But that’s when travel gets interesting.